Wednesday, November 08, 2006

TAIJIQUAN (SUPREME ULTIMATE FIST)

I had my first Taiji lesson tonight. Awhile back I mentioned to our waiban, Helen, that I wanted to learn Taiji (a Chinese martial art) so she said she would talk to the school. A few weeks ago Angel told us that they would begin Taiji lessons in October, and we could participate for 100 kuai. Today Angel called me and said the first lesson would begin tonight at 5:00. I was expecting a little time to prepare myself, but I'm starting to get used to being told last minute about things. Anyway, Brian and Cindy were supposed to join me, but Brian decided not to and Cindy came late. The instructor is a very young lady and her students, besides me, were all Chinese teachers from my school. We met at the playground (which is the word our students use for every sporting location [i.e., football field, basketball courts, tennis courts, etc.]). Of course, I didn't understand any of the verbal instruction so I just followed the movements of the instructor. At the end of the lesson, the teacher performed her own Taiji routine. This probably sounds really corny, but her performance was so beautiful, it made me somewhat emotional! Anyway, we're supposed to meet twice a week. It's going to be a lot of work, but I'm looking forward to it.

No comments: