Tuesday, November 21, 2006

BAD IDEA

It was my turn last Friday to give the English Corner lecture. At the beginning of the semester, the four of us sat down and decided what topics we would speak about for our lectures. We also decided in which order we would give our lectures. The order of our lectures just so worked out that I would be giving the lecture the week before both Thanksgiving and Christmas so it followed that I should lecture on both of these topics. At the time I thought it would be cool because both topics would be easy to talk about, and there's plenty of info on the web to aid me in my research. But I have since realized, after having given the lecture on Thanksgiving, that it is not fun researching and reminiscing about a holiday I will not be celebrating with my family back home this year.

HANG OUT DAY

Sundays have turned into a hang out day. It's the only day that most of us have off at the same time so often Wind, Alice, Zoe or whoever else is free spend the day at our school. We never do much, but it's fun to hang out. More recently the Lewises or the Hills come over to watch the newest seasons of LOST. Each week Derek downloads the newest seasons of LOST off the Internet so everyone comes over here to watch them. Last Sunday Chinese Andrew hung out with us all day. "Chandrew" is a doctor who recently graduated from the medical college. He's so busy, he can seldom hang out with us. In fact, this was only the second time I've seen him, but he's really nice and pretty funny.

NEW CLASS

Monday night Brian and I started a new class. It's weird beginning a new class in the middle of the semester, but the class went really well. Brian and I had just finished our taiji lesson shortly before our class started so I was extra energized for the class. It was fun, and my students seem pretty interested. I have like 30 some guys and only 5 girls. I like girls better - they're better students and better English speakers usually - but these guys seem to be pretty attentive. I didn't have many funny names (mostly because I had to name the vast majority of my class), but I do have a "Polar Bear. Polar for short." Since they're not English majors and since I didn't feel like fighting with the students, I allowed him to keep the name. And Grossler will remain Grossler as well!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

He is my shepherd. I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside the still waters. He restores my soul. He leads me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil for he is with me. His rod and his staff, they comfort me. He prepares a table before me in the presence of my enemies. He anoints my head with oil; my cup runs over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I will live in his house forever.

Hope you enjoy the poem!

Love, Cherry Renae